Search on list

Search by map

Cult

Type of religious building

Architecture

Features

Search results on list






Architecture

Features








Church • 1088 • Protestant Church 't Keerske • Brugge

©  Open churches Foundation
Keersstraat  1  • 8000 Brugge

Site: http://www.protestantsekerkbrugge.be

Religious offices :
Sunday 10 am

 

8000_TKeerske1.jpg 8000_TKeerske2.jpg 8000_TKeerske3.jpg
Visualisez l'édifice sur la carte
Organ Background music Disabled access Toilets Classified building Protestant Church Share on Facebook STIB De Lijn TEC SNCB / NMBS


This Protestant church, built in 1520, and recognised as such in 1576,1817 and 1953, is in the centre of Bruges near the market. In 1984 it moved to “’t Keeske” in Keer street. The name ‘ t Keerske comes from the guild of “keesengieters” or candle- makers who had a chapel in the church in the 16 th century. Another name for this chapel is the chapel of St Peter which was built in the 11th century by order of Robert de Fries, Count of Flanders. It was built over the crypt of Saint Catherine.

The funeral service of Charles the Good, Count of Flanders was held here after his assassination in 1127. At the start of the 14th century the crossbowmen held the chapel and at the end of the 16th century it was the turn of the candle- makers.

The church was renovated in the 18th century though it continued to be used as a dance- hall, boxing arena and warehouse. From 1938 the association of guides rented the chapel. Since 1960 it has been classed as a historical monument.

It was then restored and from 8th December 1984 it has been used by the Protestants and the Anglicans.