Religious offices :
Saturday 6 pm
01/01 - 31/12
daily : 9 am-5 pm
From 10:00 to 18:00
The chapel is on the Kreupelenstraat( Lame street) not far from Smedenpoort. Originally from the 14th century, its present form dates from 1652.Most noteworthy is the miraculous statue in coloured oak of Our Lady of the Blind (1415-1420).Beneath this is a Calvary from about 1500.
There is a painting; “The poor and blind appealing to the Virgin.” The organ, from Bergen, which is played during concerts, dates from 1731.In the middle of the chapel hangs a model of the three masted ship “Saint Michael» which carried wheat in during the 1588 famine.
Every 15th August there is the procession of our Lady of the Blind, called also the “promise of Bruges”. It was so named because in 1304 the women of Bruges promised to hold a procession every year to ensure that their husbands returned safe and sound from the war. During this procession they carry the statue of the Virgin and a candle to the chapel in the “Potterie”.